Monday, June 16, 2014

Family Matters



Happy Father's Day to all the men who are being all they can be.

Before I go on, there have been many posts on social media sites that are wishing single moms Happy Father's Day as well. This year I took notice more than usual and kind of was offended for fathers out there. You're a mom, just the mom. You are not both. And more importantly, on Mother's Day, I have never seen dads wished Happy Mother's Day because they are single dads. Not to offend anyone, but there are many deadbeat moms out there. As bad as the deadbeat dads out there. So how about we be respectful and not try to say one hardship is harder than the other?

Now onto my post. Haha

Thought this was funny. Totally not my family. Definitely not. The cat isn't dumb at all. We don't have a dog. And I have two smartasses. 

My family has been the provider of many lessons. Some that are very true. Some not so true. Like you can't eat cereal and drink orange juice in the morning. So I'm going to share a few of these lessons with all of you.

Accomplishments
There was a Science Fair I won 3rd Place for in elementary school. I was very proud to win my first trophy. And I shared my honor for many years. Finally one day, my mother looked at me and said, "How many years ago was that?" And I thought about it and there was some distance between the two points in my life. "Girl, if that was the last thing you accomplished, it's time to get a new one." She replied. As much as the statement burned, since then I've held onto those words. It's important that we don't become stagnate and get fixed on the "glory days". We have to keep moving instead.

Karma
My grandmother is one with many sayings and lessons for everyone. One of the best is "If you spit up at the sky, it comes back in your face". Who can say that's not true? Literally it's factual and in life we've all been victim to it.

Investing/Business
Both of my grandfathers immigrated to this country. Both were able to save enough money to live comfortably in their old age. Something I have learned from them is to invest and take chances with your money, reap the benefits later.

Music
I've always liked many genres of music. My dad poked fun at some of my favorites like NSYNC, but always pointed out things I should know. When I bought my No Strings Attached album, I went home and listened to every song one by one. My dad walked by and said, "If you don't like that song a few seconds in, then move on." Since then, I listen to songs and if the chorus is the highlight of the song, I know it's not that great. The first few moments of a song has to captivate you. I think of the build up many of them have and then the explosion at the chorus. It's my ultimate favorite.

I have many more to share but I don't want to give up all the goods. Maybe think about some of the things your family has taught you. You'll be surprised at how much success it can bring you.

No comments:

Post a Comment