Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thank You, Good Bye One Tree Hill (Final Chapter)



My little brother was the one to start watching the show first. Haha he liked basketball and thought he'd like the show. Slowly but surely he started to become less and less interested. But I took a chance on the "dumb show" and ended up really liking it. And my like become a love. As my Mom said once, I hadn't been that big of a fan of anything in that way since NSYNC. And I still am.

I knew this moment was approaching. The moment in every TV show's life when they have to end. Kind of symbolic in a way because the inevitable is the same with us. People. And so although I dreaded it, I knew there would come a time where it would have to end. There was going to be a time where I couldn't see Mark Schwahn's genius through this weekly addiction of mine.

I started to think about all the moments we had together. Things we worked through; things we couldn't. Things that prepared me for what was to come next. Helped me believe in love again. Reminded me of things I hated. Comforted me about the things I had lost. ...All these memories flooded back.

The white rose represents friendship. We all know the magic of friendship. 
5 years ago, I had a friend named Manuel Rodriguez. He was kind, intelligent, weird, generous, theatrical, gentle, different and black on the inside.
5 years ago my friend Manuel Rodriguez died. 
He died in his sleep, the morning of Aug 1. That morning my parents had to figure out how to tell me that he died. 
Last Tuesday, I was watching the episode of OTH [One Tree Hill] I missed the night before. And those who know, there was a boy who died in [their] High School. The next morning, two characters had to figure out how to tell their son. 
Tears fell, slowly, one by one. None at the same time. Then I started to cry uncontrollably. I didn't know who to call. It was early in the morning. Who was I going to call? I called a sister. As soon as she walked through my door, she asked what was wrong. I told her and started to cry all over again. I didn't remember how to say his name which made me cry harder. How could I do that?
But her embrace helped me to calm down. 
The white rose represents friendship. We all know the magic of friendship. [Sorority's Name] guarantees you everloyal and everlasting ones. 
If it wasn't for that sister, I would have cried alone like I did 5 years ago. But instead I can say Manuel's name and use his life to help brighten my own and all of yours. (Written in 2009)

In 2004 or 2005, I remember going to FYE with some old friends to see the cast of One Tree Hill. I was SO excited. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to buy an album or Season 1 on DVD; therefore was not going to get a chance to go inside the store to actually meet them. We were there most of the day waiting. At one point we went inside the store to inquire about us having a chance to meet our favorite TV actors. As my friend asked questions and I looked at the merchandise, I looked over and saw this tall dude awkwardly standing there. Since I'm usually very polite in situations like these, I smiled at him. It was Tyler Hilton. Lol till this day, I always laugh at how frightened he looked. But I couldn't blame him; there were a large amount of screaming girls outside.

Later on that day, we knew for sure we weren't getting in there. I HAD to see them though. I was determined. We then heard that the cast was going to TRL (yes, an oldie) first and then going to FYE. A friend and I basically ran there (for once in my life, I ran) to see if we could possibly get a peek at them. And we did! Chad Michael Murray came outside even! And I remember "Let me love you" by Mario was the song playing at the time. It may have been number one for that week, I don't know. But what I do know is I couldn't stop taking pictures. I was SO excited that I even screamed like all the other girls (The day I had a new found respect).

After getting a taste, I couldn't let go of potentially seeing the cast at FYE. So we jetted back to the store and waited by the door to at least snag some pics of the rest of the cast. Since I wasn't able to get close ups at the MTV building. There was this nice mom who helped me out. She was so sweet. It's like she understood my urge to want to get pictures of the OTH stars. The mom even pushed people out of the way for me. And I got my shots! One of the best moments ever. Very exciting. Although, I have no idea where those pictures went... the fact that I saw James Lafferty, Bethany Joy Lenz, Tyler Hilton, Hilarie Burton and Chad Michael Murray (Don't think I got to see Sophia Bush *Sad face*) was enough.

Lucas Eugene Scott- Basketball star, caring, philosopher, aspiring writer, boyfriend, brother
Peyton Elizabeth Sawyer- Cheerleader, depressing, mature, selfless, alone, artistic
Brooke Penelope Davis- Cheerleader, peppy, Class President, giving, sensual, popular, idolized
Haley [Bob] James Scott- Tutor, intelligent, singer, wife, independent
Nathan [Royal] Scott- Basketball star, confused, only child syndrome, macho, husband
(Written in 2008)

The MUSIC is a big part of my love for this show. I know that Schwahn and other producers are huge music fans and musicians at heart, so they infused it into the show as much as they could. This makes the show even more awesome in my opinion. My favorite part of watching episodes was singing along to a song I thought no one knew. Or looking up the ones I didn't know but now loved. I'm going to miss that. 

In Tree Hill there is a school named Tree Hill High, which is a fictional high school that is filled with fictional students, who have fictional problems.
...The development of characters is creatively put together so that these people become our best friends. [Interviewee] said that she thinks the fact that the characters started High School while she was in High School gave them a relation to her. And [other Interviewee] added that it may be because they're not fake at all. 'We've gone through break ups, liked someone, had someone die in our lives'. Having the show deal with real life issues like a school shooting [for example] makes it real. (Written in 2008)

There is this theme going on at this stage in my life that was the theme in this final episode. 

"It's the oldest story in the world. One day you're 17 and planning for someday, and then quietly without you really noticing... Someday is today. And then someday is yesterday. And this is your life. " - Nathan

"If you had a friend you knew you'd never see again, what would you say? If you could do one last thing for someone you love, what would it be? Say it. Do it. Don't wait. Nothing lasts forever." -Brooke

Last night, thousands... maybe even millions of One Tree Hill fans watched as a chapter of their lives ended. The series finale of this long running show has brought many emotional responses and broken hearts, but I say to all of those... don't be sad, rejoice. Be happy that this show taught you all the lessons you needed. Be happy that it came into your life in the first place. Be happy that it lasted this long. Be happy. 

Dear OTH fan, My re-written collage to you. With Happiness, Me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment