Thursday, March 22, 2012

#ProjectMoveOut

It feels like I haven't written in a while. I apologize for that, things have been chaotic in S.A.E world. But as i tweeted 2 nights ago, I am determined to start Project Move Out. This will be a way to encourage the amazing Millenial generation to get up and out of their parents' home. Yes, some of us millenials don't live with our parents but many of us do. 

TIME Moneyland & Today shined some light on the trend, but I'm going to say my piece on it. 

1. The biggest excuse our fellow Millennials use to stay in their parents' home is the infamous "Economically, it makes more sense." 

My response to that is there are many things that are economically sensible. Not having cable, no pets, not getting the newest iPad, taking public transportation, not shopping name brands and the list goes on. But I'm sure that many of you do so. You go out to eat instead of cooking your own meals, traveling on credit cards to foreign countries, and whatever else. So please don't say it's more sensible without evaluating everything else you are doing. Cause this excuse sounds a lot like, "Why move when I can stay comfortable at home?" 

2. "I just got out of school"

In that case, you should be running from the dorms to your own apartment. Just saying. 

3. "Why rush?" 

The answer to this is simple, the rush is an opening  to SO much more than just having your own space. Trust me. 


In the end, this campaign I want to start is not about bashing people who live with their parents. Not at all. It takes guts to do something like that. Well especially for those of us who went to live on a college campus for four years. 

This IS about empowering the Millennials to be amazing in every aspect of their lives and not just business. We are making ground-breaking stats as a generation... creating Facebook, breaking records in the NBA, and so much more. Granted we aren't all making millions or billions like those people, but we all have that potential in us. So why settle for living with mom and dad when we could be living with friends and struggling together? Or making ourselves SO uncomfortable that we strive and push to find solutions to regain comfort? I'm just putting a voice to our potential as a generation. 

Lets start this campaign starting today. #ProjectMoveOut 

4 comments:

  1. Way to be a privileged one. Perhaps running from the dorms to an apartment was normal when the economy was moving along but not anymore sister. I am disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woooo privileged! You know yes the economy is an issue and many young people r having a hard time saving money. However, many young people are doing things to make their transition easier. they are not restructuring their loans to make them more manageable. Millions of students qualify for this program but they have not taken advantage of it. The deadline is in june. Also, many of my peers go out all the time and spend tons of money having fun. Sometimes sacrifice is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selena, you know better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving all these comments.

    Just want to remind you that this is not about living with your parents being bad and moving out is good. It's about making sure you're living to your full potential. Many of us were Presidents in clubs/organizations in college, Managers at part-time jobs, very ambitious and driven college students or even High School students. Make sure if you decide to stay home with your parents, you feel as good about yourself and are doing your best. I personally know what "being comfortable" does to me. It doesn't make me fight; instead makes me simmer. Even this January I was taken out of my comfort zone and no longer worked full-time or part-time for an employer. I had to push myself to find sources of income. IT ISN'T EASY. All three of you who wrote a comment above probably have more money in your bank account than I do.

    Yes, some people can be living at home and working their hardest to make a difference in this world. YES! But are you? This is what I want #ProjectMoveOut to be about. For all of us to encourage each other to be more. But if you're comfy with not pushing yourself... then that is your prerogative. No one can judge you for that. You are in charge of your own success. What that means is up to you. http://bit.ly/H1LXTI

    ReplyDelete